By: KIRO 7 News Staff
Drivers navigating the roads of Seattle will run into some construction that is sure to cause delays this weekend.
The Washington Department of Transportation said crews will be doing maintenance work on State Route 99, the I-90 Mercer Island and the southbound I-5 Ship Canal Bridge. In addition, Sound Transit will close lanes and ramps on northbound I-405 through Bellevue.
Here’s what drivers should prepare for:
SR 99 tunnel:
• All lanes of the southbound SR 99 tunnel will close from 10 p.m. Friday, Aug. 16, to 8 a.m. Saturday, Aug. 17.
I-5 Ship Canal Bridge:
• Two lanes of southbound I-5 over the Ship Canal Bridge will close for bridge deck repairs from 10 p.m. to 9 a.m. nightly on Friday, Aug. 16, and Saturday, Aug. 17.
I-90 floating bridge:
• All lanes of eastbound I-90 between I-5 in Seattle and Island Crest Way on Mercer Island will close from 10 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 17, to 5 a.m. Sunday, Aug. 18, as WSDOT bridge preservation crews inspect the tunnel safety systems.
• All ramps to eastbound I-90 between I-5 and Island Crest Way will close.
• The Island Crest Way on-ramps will be open.
Sound Transit I-405 closures:
• The Northbound I-405 ramp to Northeast 8th Street will be close from 10 p.m. Friday, Aug. 16, to 11:59 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 17.
• All northbound I-405 mainline lanes will close from 11:59 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 17, to 5 a.m. Monday, Aug. 19. Northbound I-405 traffic will use the collector-distributor lanes to bypass the closure.
Delays on alternate routes are also expected to happen: SR 520, I-405, I-5 and surface streets.
For those who want to plan ahead, visit WSDOT’s weekly travel planner page online.