By: KIRO 7 News Staff
SEATTLE – The U.S. Census Bureau is recruiting hundreds of temporary workers in the Seattle area as it ramps up for the 2020 census.
If hired, the census takers would be part of the Nonresponse Followup Operation, which counts people in housing units who have not self-responded to the census questionnaire.
The pay rate ranges from $14.50 to $23 per hour. The rate for King County is $23 per hour.
To be eligible for a job, you must:
- Be at least 18 years old
- Have a valid Social Security number and be a U.S. citizen
- Have an email address
- Complete an application and answer assessment questions
- Be registered with the Selective Service System or have a qualifying exemption if you are a man born after Dec. 31, 1959
- Pass a criminal background check, including fingerprinting
- Commit to training
- Be willing to work flexible hours