By Mike Timmerman, clarkhoward.com
If you can’t resist sneaking a taste of raw cookie dough before baking cookies, the Food and Drug Administration has some bad news for you.
In a new warning, the government group says you should never eat raw cookie dough again.
FDA: Raw cookie dough could make you sick
The problem? Flour. It can contain harmful strains of E. coli. In fact, the FDA is part of a joint investigation into an outbreak that’s sickened dozens of people.
A bacteria called Shiga toxin-producing E. coli O121 is blamed for this latest batch of illnesses.
And the investigation found that raw dough eaten or handled by some of the patients was made with General Mills flour. General Mills, by the way, recalled 10 million pounds of flour as a result.
Officials say some of the recalled flour was sold to restaurants that allowed kids to play with dough made from raw flour while waiting for their meals.
The government is now advising restaurants to stop giving customers raw dough.
And if cookie dough ice cream is your favorite, don’t make it at home. Commercial brands are okay. They use treated flour and pasteurized eggs.
As you may already know, consuming raw eggs increases the risk of Salmonella.
So, it sounds as though the FDA is taking a pretty firm stance on this issue. You have to stop eating raw dough. Not even one bite!
Here are the FDA’s top 5 tips to stay safe:
- Do not eat any raw cookie dough, cake mix, batter, or any other raw dough or batter product that is supposed to be cooked or baked.
- Follow package directions for cooking products containing flour at proper temperatures and for specified times.
- Wash hands, work surfaces, and utensils thoroughly after contact with flour and raw dough products.
- Keep raw foods separate from other foods while preparing them to prevent any contamination that may be present from spreading. Be aware that flour may spread easily due to its powdery nature.
- Follow label directions to chill products containing raw dough promptly after purchase until baked.
For more information follow this link, clarkhoward.com