by: Mike Timmermann, clark.com
With temperatures on the rise, America’s coffee chains are busy promoting their latest iced and frozen beverages to give you a caffeine fix that will last all summer long!
How to make frozen coffee at home
What exactly is in these drinks? Dunkin’ says its new creation is a combination of its special coffee extract, blended with ice and dairy — and the drink can be customized any way you like it.
But make no mistake: Frozen Dunkin’ Coffee is far from a regular cup of coffee.
According to the nutrition facts posted on DunkinDonuts.com, a medium Frozen Dunkin’ Coffee with cream has 630 calories, 26 grams of fat and 92 grams of sugar!
Compare that to the American Heart Association’s guidelines for added sugar intake:
In addition to having more calories, fat and sugar than a regular cup of coffee, many of the blended beverages you see advertised are more expensive.
You save a lot of money (and control what you put in it) by preparing the drink at home.
After sampling Frozen Dunkin’ Coffee, which costs $1.99 for a small, I spent a couple of days trying to recreate it at home. Here’s what I came up with:
1. Brew 2 cups of your favorite coffee, the stronger the better.
2. Pour coffee into an ice tray and place in the freezer for several hours. This is the secret to making the best frozen coffee ever!
3. Put coffee cubes into a blender that can crush ice. Add about 1 cup of milk or non-dairy alternative and the sweetener of your choice.
What I used:
- 1 cup of unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1 Stevia packet
- Splash of sugar-free vanilla syrup
4. Blend until ice is crushed. Mix with a spoon before pouring into a cup.
If you’re not up for trying this at home, at least download your favorite chain’s app for ways to save! Currently, Dunkin’ Donuts is offering 50% off all beverages from 2 p.m. to 7 p.m.
Watch below: How to make frozen coffee at home
Other stories you might like from Clark Howard: