By Brianna Chambers
Cox Media Group National Content Desk
“Beware! If you have a drooly baby, moisture will get in the hole and you’ll end up with mold,” one Amazon customer wrote last year. “We’ve had ours for two years and the entire inside is coated with black mold.”
Vulli, the French company that makes the Sophie toy, says moisture should not get inside the toy giraffe.
Other parents said they found their children’s Sophie toys to be clean and safe.
According to Lyuba Konopasek, an assistant professor of pediatrics at New York Presbyterian/Weil Cornell Medical Center, exposure to mold in toys is usually OK, except in cases in which a child has an immune disorder. Those with mold allergies may experience coughing and itchy eyes.
“The only way to prevent mold inside plastic toys is to make sure they are cleaned and thoroughly dried,” said Carolyn Forte, director of the Cleaning Lab at the Good Housekeeping Institute.
Forte advised washing plastic toys in hot, sudsy water or in the dishwasher.
But Laurie Schraenen, a spokeswoman for Sophie the Giraffe, said the toy is meant to have its surface cleaned with a damp cloth and that it should not be immersed in the water.
“Each complaint received is taken very seriously and … the return of the product is always asked for further examination,” Schraenen told Good Housekeeping in a statement. “Furthermore, please know that the safety of children and satisfaction of their parents is our main priority. For the past 55 years, we have always strived to exceed security standards and all of our products comply with the most stringent global standards.”
Read more at Good Housekeeping.