General Mills has voluntarily recalled four varieties of its Nature Valley Protein Chewy Bars and Nature Valley Simple Nut Bars because the products may contain listeria.
The voluntary recall was issued after sunflower kernels used in the Nature Valley bars were recalled by supplier SunOpta during an ongoing national recall for the potential presence of listeria.
“This recall only affects four flavors of Nature Valley’s nearly 40 different products,” a post on the Nature Valley Facebook account says.
“We know this is inconvenient for consumers who love these four flavors,” Anton Vincent, president of General Mills Snacks Division, said in a release on the U.S. Food and Drug Administration website. “We promise they will return as soon as it is safe to do so.”
There have been no confirmed reports of illnesses because of consumption of the Nature Valley bars.
A spokesperson for the company said it is “(working) hard to make this right” and “working hard to regain (consumers’) trust.”
The following products are included in the recall:
- Nature Valley Protein Chewy Bar: Honey, Peanut & Almond with Pumpkin Seeds, 5-count package, UPC: 000-16000-47196
- Nature Valley Protein Chewy Bar: Peanut, Almond & Dark Chocolate, 5-count package, UPC: 000-16000-45724
- Nature Valley Simple Nut Bar: Roasted Peanut & Honey, 4-count package, UPC: 000-16000-46475
- Nature Valley Simple Nut Bar: Roasted Peanut & Honey, 16-count package, UPC: 000-16000-41308
- Nature Valley Simple Nut Bar: Almond, Cashew & Sea Salt, 4-count package, UPC: 000-16000-46474
- Nature Valley Simple Nut Bar: Almond, Cashew & Sea Salt, 25-count package, UPC: 000-16000-41301
Consumers can call 1-866-896-4365 for more information or visit www.generalmills.com/sunflowerseeds.