Jesse’s Picks

Keyless ignition systems may pose hidden, deadly danger


Hundreds of new car models come with keyless ignition systems, a convenient feature that uses an electronic key fob – not a metal key — and lets you turn on the engine with the push of a button.

Read more from Clark Howard: These are the most and least expensive cars to maintain

But some drivers who have this technology in their cars are making a critical mistake, and people are dying because of it. The issue? They’re forgetting to press the button to turn the car off.

This has been especially dangerous when drivers leave the car running in a garage, increasing the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning. The colorless, odorless gas can then seep into your home without you realizing it.

The child safety organization tells that at least 21 people have died from this very issue.

These are the lucky ones

A family of six in Washington state could have been part of that statistic, but they survived.

While rushing to get his sick child inside the house, KIRO-TV reports a father removed the key fob from his van, but he left the vehicle running. Rescuers found potentially deadly levels of carbon monoxide in their home.

His entire family – including his wife, parents and two children – were rushed to the hospital to be treated for carbon monoxide poisoning.

The same thing happened to Constance Petot and her 13-month-old son.

[This story was written by Mike Timmermann with For more stories like this, visit them here.]

Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter