With Washington’s first fall wind storm in full affect, power outages are a big concern.
The Washington State Health Department recommend these tips to help you through a power outage:
- Turn off all electrical appliances and lights except for the refrigerator and freezer.
- Unplug computers and other sensitive equipment to protect electronics from possible surges when the power is restored.
- Only leave one lamp on, so you will know when power is restored.
- If power is restored, wait at least 15 minutes before turning on other appliances.
- Make sure to conserve your water, especially if you use well water.
- Avoid using gas ovens, gas ranges, barbecues or portable heaters for indoor heating.
- Use battery-operated flashlights or glow sticks. Avoid the use of candles because they can cause a fire.
- Avoid using gas lanterns, stoves and kerosene heaters. Maintain proper ventilation to avoid a build of toxic fumes. Make sure you have a carbon monoxide detector.
- Stay away from downed power lines and broken trees and limbs.