Mike Timmermann, Clark.com
Faced with slumping sales, Subway is rolling out a new restaurant design, fresh menu items and digital enhancements to keep customers coming back for its made-to-order sandwiches and salads.
Subway unveils fresh new look
Read more: The 10 fastest-growing chain restaurants
The world’s largest restaurant chain that uses the slogan “Eat Fresh” has gone stale in recent years amid competition from chains like Jimmy John’s and Firehouse Subs.
However, Subway is hoping to turn things around with the addition of new decor, kiosks, music and more.
“We’ve created a modern design that gives our guests choices – from how they order, to how they pick up their food, to how they enjoy their meal,” said Trevor Haynes, Vice President of Operations at Subway. “The reactions from our guests, our franchisees and the Sandwich Artists has been incredibly positive.”
Subway’s Fresh Forward design was brought to life thanks to input from customers and franchisees. There are currently 12 pilot locations in the U.S., Canada and the U.K.:
- Tamarac, FL
- Orlando, FL (2 locations)
- Winter Park, FL
- Chula Vista, CA
- Knoxville, TN
- Palmview, TX
- Hillsboro, OR
- Vancouver, WA
- Beauport, QC
- Granby, QC
- Manchester, U.K.
What exactly are the changes in store for customers?
7 ways Subway says it’s transforming the restaurant experience
1. Self-order kiosks, digital menu boards, plus Apple and Samsung Pay options
2. Designated pre-order pick-up location for kiosk, mobile app, delivery and catering orders
3. New menu items including pico de gallo, new sauces, house-made pickles and made-without-gluten bread
4. New bread and cookie displays on the front of the line
5. Fresh vegetable display with whole tomatoes, green peppers, onions and cucumbers that are sliced daily
6. Comfortable seating with USB charging ports and free Wi-Fi
7. Bright and playful décor, as well as curated music
USA Today reports that this transformation won’t happen overnight. It will take place gradually as existing stores are remodeled and new ones are built.