Charis Rebecca Brown, clarkhoward.com
The big iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus reveal was a big day for big Apple fans. (Or it might have been a slight letdown, if you frequently used the headphone jack in previous iPhone models.)
Features of the iPhone 7 include a sleek new look, water resistance, a 12-megapixel camera, a 7-megapixel front-facing camera, stereo speakers, longer battery life, a 64-bit, quad-core processor that is apparently 40% faster than the A9 processor and 32GB, 128GB and 256GB storage capacities.
An odd omission though is there is no headphone jack, which may pose a challenge for small business owners who use Square or folks who prefer a wired connection over a Bluetooth one. However, there is an adapter for those who need the headphone jack. (Insert sigh of relief here — slash extra expense.)
But with a price tag ranging from $649 to $969, these phones clearly aren’t cheap.
So if you aren’t quite ready to drop that kind of cash, here are 5 smartphones under $200 — a fraction of the price of the iPhone 7 — that are great!
5 great smartphones under $200
Great battery life: The Huawei Ascend Mate 2 for $199.99
This phone has up to three days of battery life and is a great phone that can do most everything you need a smartphone to do. The Huawei Ascend Mate 2 is available for as low as $199.99 at Rakuten.
- 6.10-inch touchscreen display
- 1.6 GHz Cortex-A7 Processor
- 16GB, 2GB RAM, plus microSD Slot Expandable up to 64GB
- Lithium Ion 4050 mAh Battery
- 13 Megapixel Camera
- Runs on Android v4.3 (Jelly Bean)
Great all-around performance: The ZTE Z Max Pro for $99
Clark particularly likes this phone due to the large 6″ display. It also comes with a state-of-the-art fingerprint sensor — a great security feature. Plus, you can charge this phone up to 40% quicker than older phones.
It’s available for $99 at Metro PCS after mail-in rebate.
- 6″ Full High Definition (FHD) Touchscreen Display
- 1.5 GHz Octa Core processor
- 32GB ROM / 2GB RAM
- 3400 mAh battery
- 13MP autofocus camera with LED flash and digital image stabilization + 5MP front-facing camera
- Runs on Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow
- Fingerprint Sensor
Works on every major carrier: The Moto G4 for $149.99 – $199.99
There are a lot of high-performance phones in the Motorola family, but probably one of the best features of the Moto G is that it works on all 4 major carriers. It also regains up to 6 hours of battery life on a 15 minute charge.
The latest 4th edition of the Moto G has the following features:
- 5.5″ full HD (1080p) display
- 1.5 GHz octa-core processor
- 2 GB of RAM + Add up to 128 GB of additional storage with a microSD card
- 3000mAh battery
- 13 MP HD camera + 5 MP wide-angle selfie cam
- Runs on Google Android 6.0 Marshmallow
The neat thing about buying the Moto G 4th edition on Amazon is you can get a lower price ($149.99 for the 16GB) if you’re a Prime Member and you’re okay with ads showing up on your phone. But if not, the phone is $50 more, making it $199.99.
Micro Center has the 64GB Motorola Moto G4 Plus smartphone for $199.99 right now (save $100), but it appears to be available in a very small number of stores.
You can also pre-order the Moto G Play smartphone for $100 if you’re an Amazon Prime member with ads, or $150 for anyone, without ads.
New iPhone 5S for $149
Though the iPhone 5S has been out for a while, if you love the iOS and you want to stick to a budget-friendly phone, this might be the way to go.
Walmart has the Total Wireless Apple iPhone 5S 16GB Prepaid Smartphone available for $149, a savings of $301.
- 4″ Retina display
- A7 chipset, dual-core 1.3 GHz Cyclone processor
- 1 GB RAM
- 1560 mAh battery
- 8MP iSight camera + 5MP Facetime camera
- Runs on iOS 9
A great all-around smartphone: The BLU R1 for $59.99 – $109.99
The Blu R1 smartphone at Amazon, like the Moto G4, offers you a choice between an ad-free experience or a lower price with ads. The 16GB with ads is $59.99 for Prime members, while the 16GB without ads is $109.99 for anyone.
- 5″ HD display with curved Gorilla Glass 3 protection
- 1.3 GHz quad-core MediaTek 6735 ARM Cortex processor with 16 GB Internal memory
- 2 GB RAM
- 2500 mAh battery
- 8 MP main camera and 5 MP selfie camera that includes a front-facing LED flash
- Runs on Android 6.0 Marshmallow
It is important to note, the Blu R1 is not compatible with Sprint or Verizon.
If you love your current phone, but…
If you love your current iPhone but storage or battery life has become an issue, these simple fixes can help you keep enjoying your phone without dropping big bucks.
Problem: Low battery life
- Get a case like a Mophie case with a built-in battery.
- Get the battery replaced by Batteries Plus (get a $10 off coupon by scheduling the repair online) or a reputable cell phone repair shop.
- Install a new battery yourself with a battery kit. (Proceed with caution here.)
Problem: Short on storage
- Delete non-essential apps from your phone.
- Move photos and especially videos to your computer.
- Use cloud-based backup storage.
Free iPhone 7 with T-Mobile’s trade-in deal
If none of the above phones will do and you still must have the iPhone 7, one option is to wait a bit for the price to drop to save. And now that the iPhone 7’s are coming out, if you wanted an iPhone 6, the iPhone 6 models should be dropping in price! But if you already have an iPhone 6, 6s, 6 Plus or 6s Plus and you have or are interested in T-Mobile service, T-Mobile is offering you afree iPhone 7 in exchange for a two-year finance agreement. Check out the details here. Verizon Wireless also has a free iPhone 7 trade in-deal, in the form of trade-in credits.
A final thought
Clark is not a big fan of iPhones due to the astronomical pricing, and so he kids those of us on the team who are team Apple. But whether you are team Apple or team Android, you can still buy your phone of choice without spending big bucks — by buying a lower-priced phone, by waiting or by buying used. Buying the best of the best may have it’s merits, but buying smart can help you save!
For more information follow this link, clarkhoward.com